Freshwater Beach would probably be my favourite beach in Sydney! This gorgeous beach is located just around the corner from Manly, further off the main road. Because the beach is smaller than others and protected on both ends, the water stays shallow for a long time offshore. This makes for perfect 2-3ft waves for beginners learning to surf or those wanting to catch some longboard waves! The water is always a beautiful, crystal clear aqua colour and the waves clean and consistent.
The beach is a little further away from the shops, but there are cafes close by including Saltbush (the beach kiosk) and Calm Cafe. Freshwater (“Freshie”) is incredibly popular, especially during the warmer months.
PARKING: Paid council parking or free street parking along any nearby street
- Perfect for learning to surf
- Beautiful walk around the rocks
- Great for boogie boarding
- Usually small, consistent waves
- Shallow for ages
- Cafes nearby including Saltbush Cafe & Calm Cafe
- Huge grassy area with a playground, BBQs and picnic tables – the perfect spot for parties and gatherings
- Is very crowded in the summer months and parking can be difficult to find
- Often need to dodge people when surfing!